Children’s Home – Kandy
Home | Our Programmes | Children’s Home – Kandy
- Project Overview
- Project Description
- Resources available
- What is around
- Project Location (Map)
|Project||Working with Children in Institutional Care (Childcare, Teaching English and other activities)|
|Project Location||Project City – Gampola , Kandy|
|Project Days||Monday to Friday (08:00 – 17:00)|
|Activities||Look after Toddlers/ Teach English to Preschool children, Orphans (Girls), Novices Children/ Games, Sports, Arts and Crafts, Gardening, Helping the staff etc.|
||Please request for a quotation that meets your travel budget.|
|Gender & Age||Females Only. Over 18 years|
|Accommodation||Shared rooms at the project|
What is Included in Your Package
|Accommodation||Separate, shared and safe accommodation at the project|
|Food||Three meals and Tea|
|Airport Pickup||By In-country Coordinator|
|Support||In-country team & 24 hour Emergency Support|
What is NOT Included in Your Package
Flights, Insurance, Visa/ Visa extension Fees, Local Transport, Airport drop off
This project is in Gampola which is a beautiful area in the hill country, 15 km further from Kandy the second largest city in the country after Colombo.
Tis orphanage provides a loving, secure home in the catholic environment for more than 50 girls aged 5 to 18 years and nearly 20 infants aged 0 – 4 who have been orphaned, abandoned or destitute due to various social, cultural and economic reasons. (The number of children and infants vary due to transfers and foster programs)
Mother superior and other sisters of the convent strive to protect and nurture these children, and to help them grow into happy, confident, well-educated citizen who are ready to join Sri Lankan society as productive, independent adults. The management of the convent makes every possible effort to provide these children with all the facilities, education, health care, food and shelter they need, and above all, the love, care and safety they deserve.
Also the convent conducts a preschool which has 4 groups and each group has around 35 kids aged 3 and 4 years. Well trained sisters reside in the convent teach in the preschool.
All the girls of the convent go to 2 schools which are within the walking distance. There are some girls over 18 and they are given vocational training at the convent (Sewing, IT etc.).
Everyone at the convent loves to have volunteers around, children love to play with them and learn from them. So this is a great opportunity for volunteers to teach English, new skills, help children to develop their talents and support the sisters, the staff to look after and care of these children.
- Volunteers can do various activities ranging from singing, dancing and playing with younger ones to teaching English and vocational skills to adult students, novices and sisters.
- Teaching at the Preschools (8:00am – 12:00 noon) – There are 4 play groups/ preschools in the convent. In each group there are at least 35 children aged 3 to 4 years. Volunteers can teach English and various other activities such as singing, dancing and art and crafts with the support of the respective group teachers.
- Working at the infant section – Volunteers are expected to assist the section’s staff to look after and care for the babies under age of 4 years. Also volunteers can perform various activities ranging from bathing, cleaning and feeding the babies to singing, dancing and colouring etc.
- Helping the girls/ sisters or relevant staff members with housekeeping, gardening or their other daily chores.
Volunteers are free to arrange their own timetable according to their interests and ability discussing with the in charge of the project. But our main concern is to give you the maximum of what you expected by joining this project.
The project is fully equipped with resources that are needed for all activities, including teaching materials. But volunteers are encouraged to bring anything that can be used for their teaching sessions, such as pictures, story books, writing materials, flash cards etc. The nearby town also has several very good educational bookshops that sell a wide variety of educational aids, often at a fraction of the cost found in other countries.
Gloves, trousers and T-shirts (2 sets) that can be used when doing manual work.
We provide you a basic but clean room with attached bathroom. Volunteers are expected to share a room with other volunteers of the same gender. Single rooms can be arranged on request and an extra fee may be applied. Since the accommodation is limited, we strongly request volunteers that share the accommodation.
Other facilities provided:
- Three meals prepared and provided. (If the volunteers have special dietary requirements we request them to let us know in advance, or bring from home as we may not be able to provide them)
- Volunteers can prepare their own cup of tea or coffee.
- Mosquito nets and bed sheets, pillows etc.
What is around
What is around and things to do in your free time.
Gampola is a town in the hill country, 15 km to the south from Kandy. The area has a cool climate even in the mid-day. It’s maximum of 45 minutes to Kandy city (the second largest city of the country) via public transport. There are regular buses from Gampola town. It’s just few yards to the town for shops, markets and internet cafes. Main bus station and the train station is just 10 minutes’ walk. Regular buses to Colombo and Nuwara Eliya. If the volunteers wants to climb Adam’s Peak, visit waterfalls and tea estates it can be done easily on the train.
There are many place of interests near Gampola that the volunteers can easily reached.
- Kandy Temple of tooth, Hotels and other tourist places (45 minutes in a bus)Kandy Temple of tooth, Hotels and other tourist places (45 minutes in a bus)
- Peradeniya Botanical Garden 30 minutes away in a bus.
- Pinnawala, Kegalle elephant orphanage just 1hour and 30 minutes away in a bus or train.
- 3 or 4 hours to Adam’s Peak and to tea estates from Gampola
- Direct and regular air conditioned/ normal buses and trains to Colombo and beaches of Down South.
- In overall, it’s very easy to get to the most of the places of interests and historic in Sri Lanka